A music program to suit boys of all abilities and experience
Compulsory String Program
All boys in Years 3 and 4 take part in this program, playing violin, viola, cello or double bass. The program consists of a weekly 30 minute group lesson and a 45 minute orchestral session. There are also two concerts per year where the boys have the chance to show off their skills to family and friends.
Years 3 and 4
All boys in Year 3 and 4 receive one music lesson each week. During this time the boys are introduced to the concepts of music and gain insight and experience in the fields of theory, critical listening, composition and performance.
Classroom Music Year 5 and 6
All boys in Year 5 and 6 receive two 45 minute classroom music lesson per week. During this time the boys develop their understanding of the concepts of music and they will gain further insight and experience in the fields of theory, critical listening, composition and performance.
Brass, Woodwind and Percussion Program - Year 5 only
To ensure our orchestras contain a range of all instrument types, the College offers a Brass, Woodwind and Percussion program for boys in Year 5. All tuition fees as well as instrument hire are fully borne by the College and entry into the program is voluntary. At present we are encouraging participation on the oboe, bassoon, flute, clarinet, trombone, tuba, euphonium and the French horn.
Co-Curricular ensembles in the Junior School
The Junior School offers several co-curricular ensembles and all students are encouraged to be involved. A list of the ensembles on offer is listed below:
- Zipoli Choir: This is the Junior School’s premier vocal ensemble and is for boys in Years 5 and 6 only. Entry is by invitation only following an individual audition at the start of the year.
- Junior School Choir: Entry is open to all students.
- String Orchestra: The String Orchestra is for boys with one or more years’ performance experience. Entry is via audition.
- String Chamber Ensemble: For the more experienced performers. Entry into this ensemble is by invitation.
- Concert Band I: For players with one or more years’ experience on a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument. All students are auditioned and placed according to their performance ability.
- Concert Band II: For players with less than one years’ experience on a brass, woodwind or percussion Instrument.
- Jazz Ensemble: A specialised ensemble designed to introduce students to improvising music in the jazz style and performing jazz standards. Entry is competitive and subject to audition.
- Rock Band: Admission into this ensemble is restricted to vocalist, piano, guitar, bass guitar and drums. Entry is competitive and subject to audition.
- Guitar Ensemble: This ensemble is aimed at developing student's technique and ensemble playing skills on the acoustic guitar.
Private tuition/instrument hire
Instrument tuition and hire is available for most instruments.