St Aloysius’ College is a Catholic independent day school for boys from Year 3 to Year 12, situated in the shadow of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The College, which has an enrolment of almost 1200 students, is conducted by the Jesuit Order and is part of a worldwide network of 1000 Jesuit primary and secondary schools and universities. The first school was commenced by St Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Order, in 1548.
The College aspires to assist and support parents in the formation of their sons in the Ignatian tradition of education producing “men for others” who are balanced and motivated, integrating spiritual maturity and academic excellence with a rounded social and physical development.
A Jesuit education stresses the acquisition of skills and techniques in a purposeful and balanced perspective. While emphasis is placed on the development of intellectual and mental skills, attention is also given to other aspects of personal formation, such as character, attitudes, values and social interaction.
The College aims to ensure that the characteristics of Jesuit education are effectively present in the teaching, policies and practices that determine the life of the College.
St Aloysius’ College was founded in 1879 at St Kilda House Woolloomooloo with a total of 45 pupils. In 1883 the College moved to Auburn Villa Darlinghurst and became known as St Aloysius’. In 1903, at the request of the Archbishop of Sydney, the College moved to its present site at Milsons Point. Today the College is spread over three campuses. The Junior School is situated in Burton Street. This campus was acquired and redeveloped by the College in 1992. The Middle School is located in Upper Pitt Street as is the Wyalla Senior College which opened in February 1997. The Sports Oval is at Willoughby.
The College is the oldest of the six schools which make up the Combined Associated Schools (CAS) of New South Wales and it is a member of the Association of Independent Schools (AIS) of Australia.